Saturday 4 July 2009

Believe it or not

I must confess that that I have always found belief in God quite difficult. There is something of the sceptic in me which has to seriously, the lack of positive evidence for the existence of God. Sometimes belief seems to evaporate altogether. Oh dear. But then perhaps we think of belief in the wrong way. I realise that I have come to think of belief as a something or a feeling that I either have or I don't. Here belief is a noun. But is that right? Does belief have a being all of its own. Is it something given by God, the god's or by life to those mortals that are favoured? Does that account for why some people believe in God and others do not? If that were true then God or the god would be capricious in the extreme. It seems especially unjust when one considers the fact that for many Christians, belief is a prerequisite of their entry into heaven. You don't believe, well you don't get in. 

I do not think that belief is like that at all. It does not begin life as a noun but as a verb. Belief is not something that we have, it is something that we do. Belief is the child of believing. 

It is like the story of the man who found he had no love for his wife anymore. 

'Go and love her.' said his friend, 'Love is a verb not a noun.' 

You may ask whether I believe in God, and I will say that I do. 

'What are you reasons? Where is your evidence?'

Ah well, there is the rub, I have plenty of reasons, but not much evidence. 

When the planes went in to the twin towers on 9/11 they were piloted be men who believed that God would reward them for this action. It was a belief they had no evidence for at all. Believing without evidence can be very dangerous.

There is an ethic that says, 'Do what thou wilt, and harm none.'  

Believing is fine.
Believe if thou wilt, but in that believing, harm none.


1 comment:

  1. Belief is verb based on the noun of evidence. We point the geiger counter of reason at reality and we listen to the number of clicks. Some clicks are background noise, but enough means that there is something out there.

    The problem with the idea of God is that we have never been told where to point the meter.

    ReplyDelete